When life handed me a Canadian Husband, Two Energetic Kids and a Dog with ADHD,
I made myself some Organized Chaos!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Are your kids Responsible?


I was looking on Pinterst and saw this picture above.  I laughed and have a confession.  I always had the attitude to just do it myself and it will get done right the first time! This last month....yes, my kids are 10 and 6, I am trying to give them more responsibility.  

Here is my confessions...

1.   I always make the kids lunches.  
    • TanMan just made his lunch last week.  Man he acted clueless but he did it and I think he felt good about it.  
2.   I or my hubby always does the dishes.  Kids have no part in it.  
    • I am now making one child dry and one put it away. 
3.   I put my kids clothes out for the whole week.  
    • On Sundays they lay out their clothes for a week.  I go over with them after it is all laid out on their bed.             
4.   I put all the laundry away.
    • I make them put their own clothes away now.  
5.   I hover over homework.  
    • I realized this was not helping my kids with responsibility   TanMan has had some big bumps in the road but he is learning to take responsibility for his work.  I am not going to be able to stand over the boys when they go to college and make sure their work is done all the time.  I still guide them but I try not to hover.  

OK....There is my confession.  It is hard to give a little and teach your kids life skills. I have the mind frame I am their mom and I should do it but what am I teaching them?  

But I do teach them....

1.  Cleaning
    • We have two standards in our house.  1 is Mommy Clean and 2 is Daddy Clean.  When I tell the boys we are going to clean they always ask which one.  LOL...I know that it sounds goofy but Mommy Clean is a lot more clean then Daddy!!  :)  
2.   Sorting Laundry
    • I do make the kids sort the laundry. Whites/Darks/Towels/Gentle
3.   Garbage
    • This is something the kind of did all the time but recently we make them collect all the garbage and then put it by the curb.  
4.  Cooking
    • We try to teach our boys cooking skills.  I was never taught to cook and had to learn when I became a mom.  
5.   Poop Scooping!  
    • Probably their favorite!  LOL  Ok...maybe not their favorite!
These life skills are something we need to teach our kids.  The younger they are the more they grow into those responsibilities and the easier they become for them so when they are adults they will become just as east as tying their shoes.  


I looked up online what age appropriate chores are.  Here is what I found out on www.chores-help-kids.com.



Some chores 2-4 year olds can do


Many toddlers are eager to help with chores, and while their “helping” may not always be truly helpful, we should encourage that excitement and the habit of helping out around the household.

  • Help make the bed
  • Put dishes in the sink (Plastic!)
  • Pick up toys and books
  • Take laundry to the laundry room
  • Help feed pets
  • Help wipe up messes
  • Dust with socks on their hands
  • Mop in areas with help.
  • Use potty
  • Brush teeth
  • Floss teeth (with help and a flosser)
  • Water garden (with pre measured water)
  • Pick up toys at the end of day

Chores for 4 - 6 year olds

Four, five and six year olds still find helping to be an exciting venture and usually are happy to try and help. At this age, they are ready to do some chores without constant supervision. Rewards at this age are very motivating.

  • Clear and set the table
  • Dust
  • Help preparing food to cook?Carrying and putting away groceries
  • Use bathroom
  • Wash hands
  • Brush teeth
  • Floss Teeth (with flosser)
  • Water garden
  • Pick up toys
  • Feed pet
  • Make bed/change sheets (start with having him/her take off the dirty sheets and hand you the clean ones )
  • Set table
  • Carry dirty dishes to kitchen or sink
  • Put away folded clean clothes
  • Put dirty clothes into clothes hamper
  • Set out clothes for the next day
  • Set out backpack, shoes etc (whatever is needed for school)
  • Clean room (have him/her help with picking up things and putting them in their appropriate place)

Chores for the 7-12 year old

Increasing Responsibility
Children in this preteen age are capable of handling increased responsibility where chores are concerned. Often children this age rely on continuity, so try and stick to a system that works for your family and do not change it without the input and support of the people it directly affects. Make sure that you factor in rewards and consequences and address those issues with your children. Let them know the consequences of not completing chores, as well as the rewards for fulfilling their responsibilities.

  • Help wash the car
  • Learn to wash dishes
  • Help prepare simple meals
  • Clip Coupons
  • Basic meal planning
  • Type / Write Grocery list
  • Help with shopping
  • Clean the bathroom
  • Plant garden flowers/vegetables/plants
  • Walk the dog
  • Pick up dog poop
  • Change the litter box
  • Bring in firewood
  • Rake leaves
  • Operate the washer and dryer
  • Clean and Organize the Cabinets or Storage Closet
  • Organize the video/CD collection
  • Vacuum the car
  • File papers

Chores for Teens

The idea of chores for teens may be seem an implausible concept to many people who have been trying to get their teen child to contribute to the household. But teenagers are definitely ready to handle almost any chore in the home and we need to insist that they begin helping. However, a teenager’s schedule can sometimes become quite hectic, leaving little time for chores. Make sure that the workload of your teenagers is manageable and make sure they are not overloaded in other areas when they should actually be helping out more around the house.

  • Check and replace light bulbs
  • Check and replace vacuum cleaner bags
  • All laundry
  • Wash windows
  • Clean out refrigerator and other kitchen appliances
  • Prepare meals
  • Prepare grocery lists
  • Change the oil in the car
  • Mow the grass
  • Till the garden
  • Edge the lawn
  • Trim the trees/shrubs
  • Deliver meals to those in need
  • Babysit younger siblings
  • Split wood
  • Clean out fireplace
  • Clean gutters
  • Fertilize lawn/garden
  • Give mom/dad a back rub!
  • Bathe younger siblings

What chores do your kids have??