When life handed me a Canadian Husband, Two Energetic Kids and a Dog with ADHD,
I made myself some Organized Chaos!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Jesus Felt

I know this probably sounds really goofy but I wanted to tell you all that I sometimes forget or can't quite get it that Jesus had feelings and still does.  I was watching The Passion of Christ with my hubby and I just get a flood of emotions.  Not just the sacrifices He made for us but all the feelings He had along with those sacrifices!    So I of course started to get interested in what emotions the bible tells us Jesus had.  I have only listed a few  emotions and examples!  I would love for you to share your examples if you have any!!  




1. Compassion


This is a feeling that we first think of when we think of Jesus, at least I do!  


When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, 
because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
 Matthew 9:36



When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 
When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, 
he had compassion on them and healed their sick. Matthew 14:13-14



Jesus called his disciples to him and said,
 “I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way.”Matthew 15:32


Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. 
Immediately they received their sight and followed him. Matthew 20:34


When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don’t cry.”
Luke 7:13



A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, “If you are willing, you can make me clean.” Jesus was indignant.He reached out his hand and touched the man.“I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” 

Mark 1:40-41



Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes.
 Immediately they received their sight and followed him. 
Matthew 20:34




Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place. But many who saw them leaving recognized them and ran on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things. 

Mark 6:31-34


 “I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. If I send them home hungry, they will collapse on the way, 
because some of them have come a long distance.” Mark 8:2-3

When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd,
 he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
 Matthew14:14

As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about.
 The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
 James 5:11


2. Love


Another emotion that may come to mind right off the bat.  


And he said to them, 
“I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.
 Luke 22:15


When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. 
No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” 
Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 
John 11:4-5



Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
John 15:13



He loved...

  • The rich young man - Mark 10:21
  • Martha, Mary and Lazarus- John 11:5
  • Lazarus- John 11:3, 36
  • One of the disciples- John 13:23; 19:26; 20:2; 21:7, 20
  • All of us- Ephesians 5:2
  • Christ knowledge- Ephesians 3:18-19
  • Love of the church- Ephesians 5:25





3. Joyful/Happiness


Two different occasions John talks about Jesus described himself as Joyful.  


I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
 John 15:11


 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.
 John 17:13



 At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit,
 said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, 
because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, 
and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.
Luke 10:21

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrew 12:2

But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly,
 Hebrew 12:22

 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’
Luke 15:5-6

and for your sake I am glad I was not there, 
so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”
John 11:15

Jesus went with them. He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. 
That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. 
But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, 
with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. 
I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”  When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, 
and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, 
I have not found such great faith even in Israel.”
Luke 7:6-9




4. Grief/Sorrow/Suffering


Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”
 John 11:35-36

During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions
with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, 
and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 
Hebrew 5:7

As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes.  The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side.  They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another,
because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.” 
Luke 19:41-44

After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified,
 “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.”
 John 13:21

He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”...He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” Matthew 26:37, 38, 42

They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.”  He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” 
he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.” 
Mark 14:32-34


And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly,
 and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. 
Luke 22: 44



Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, 
he is able to help those who are being tempted. 
Hebrews 2:18

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man,“Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. 
Mark 3:5



He sighed deeply and said, “Why does this generation ask for a sign?

 Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it.” 

 Mark 8:12


When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. “Where have you laid him?” he asked. “Come and see, Lord,” they replied. Jesus wept.
Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!” But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?” 
John 11:32-38

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 
and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts.
Mark 11:15, 16





5. Anger


So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” 
John 2:15-16

But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” 
Mark 8:33

Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.  But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.” 
Matthew 11:20-24

 Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves.
 “It is written,” he said to them,
“‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’”
 Matthew 21:12-13

Look up and read...Matthew 23:13-36

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their 
stubborn hearts, said to the man,“Stretch out your hand.” 
He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.
 Mark 3:5

When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them,
“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of 
God belongs to such as these.....And he took the children in his arms,
 placed his hands on them and blessed them.
 Mark 10:14, 16

The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. 
o test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven.  He sighed deeply and said,
 “Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to it.”  
Then he left them, got back into the boat and crossed to the other side.  
Mark 8:11-13


You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 

“‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.

 They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.’”
Matthew 15:7-9



Paul's warning though...

“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.  Ephesians 4:26-27




6. Peacefulness



“A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.

 In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” 
John 16:32-33


8. Fear


Please read...Matthew 26:36-46

“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.  Father, glorify your name!” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 
John 12:27-28

Because of the crowd he told his disciples to have a small boat ready for him,
 to keep the people from crowding him.
Mark 3:9



9. Abandonment/Loneliness/Rejection



About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema 
sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). 
Matthew 27:46
And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema
 sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)
Mark 15:34 

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
John 15:18

Peter rejects him three times 
Mark 14:66-72


Rejection is something he faced throughout His WHOLE ministry and now daily from us.  

10. Pain

...then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him. 
Mark 15:17b

Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists,
 and said, “Prophesy!” And the guards took him and beat him. 
Mark 14:65

Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. 
Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him.
Mark 15:19


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. 
Like one from whom people hide their faces, he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.  
Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God,
 stricken by him, and afflicted.  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was 
crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, 
and by his wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:3-5



   Jesus was a HUMAN....he felt HUMAN emotions but he DID NOT SIN!  He knew His "Mission" and he followed the BIG Plan!!  God's will was His priority. This is truly amazing for me to read about and think about. God gave us the greatest example of how our life should be and what we should strive for.  I wish I had could really write the words that my heart feels when reading about all of the emotions Jesus endured.  Then I feel my heart break when I feel how I fall short to show God my love and my devotion to Him.  Where I can make Him feel rejected and disappointed in my actions daily.  Falling short is something that is always going to happen but I have to strive to be as close as I can to the Greatest Example, Jesus, as I can.  I to want make my God look at me and say well done and then an EMOTION of PRIDE is one that He can feel!