When life handed me a Canadian Husband, Two Energetic Kids and a Dog with ADHD,
I made myself some Organized Chaos!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

God is....

"If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshiped."

I was sitting around thinking about some of God’s traits.  Then of course I dove into the Bible and online to see what I could find out about each of His traits.  I have put 22 traits but of course there are so many more!  I would love for you guys to comment and add more traits of our Awesome God!  

God is…

1.     Eternal
Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. 
Psalm 90:2

God has always existed and He always will.  Nothing can defy Him so that means nothing will take him out.  Since there is no end for God he promises us eternal life with Him.  We need to believe He sent His only Son to die for me. 


2.     Infinite/Everything
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.  
Revelation 22:13

We want to understand how big and mighty God is but no man will ever be able to grasp it.  We need to give our lives to Him because He can do great things but we have to give up the power of things. 


3.     Self-sufficient and self-existent
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
       Colossians 1:16

He does not need anything us humans need!  He does not need water, food, council, or anyone else.  This is another attribute of God that is hard to completely grasp. 


4.     Present/Everywhere
Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
       Psalms 139:7-12

There is no place we can go that God isn’t already there.  So we need to be aware of His presence ALWAYS.  We need to do our daily walk with Him! 


5.     All Powerful
Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”
            Luke 18:27

He can carry out His purpose.  He can take over the world on His own timing.  He has power over the hearts of all humans.


6.     Knows All 
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
       Psalm 139:2-6

He knows past, present and future.  You cannot hide anything from him.  He knows our reasoning with doing things and when we serve Him.  We need to no hide from life and the truth and surrender to God! 


7.     Unchanging 
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. 
            Hebrews 13:8

There is no reason for God to change.  He is perfect in all ways.  We can’t blame God because He has not changed His promises or His will for us.  We may have but He has not!!


8.     Ruler/Sovereign
“How great you are, Sovereign LORD! There is no one like you, and there is no God  but   you, as we have heard with our own ears.
       2 Samuel 7:22


9.     Wise 
By wisdom the LORD laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place;
       Proverbs 3:19
He knows all and He blesses us with His wisdom so we can live with joy in His name.  He never underestimates a situation, He never forgets, or He never fails. 


10.Holy
“Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.
Leviticus 19:2

To be holy means to be separated from evil.  The only way we can do that is to live with and only with God.  He will alone separate us from Evil. 


11.Righteous and just
You are righteous, LORD, and your laws are right. 
Psalm 119:137

He does not allow any sin go unpunished.  He does not look past things we have done wrong.  He is troubled with sin.  Because He sent His son to die on the cross for us that means He has given us a chance for righteousness. 


12.Faithful
Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
Deuteronomy 7:9


13.Life
My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
            Psalm 84:2

God is alive.  He acts, thinks and protects us.  He will give us life if we just seek Him. 


14.Truth
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 14:6

God always does what He says he will do.  Trusting him completely and He will not abandon us. 


15.Good
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered.“No one is good—except God alone.
 Mark 10:18

God is so good He offers us good and he does good works.  He wants us to be happy and alive so when He sees us reach for Him He blesses us in so many ways. 


16.Merciful
The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him;
Daniel 9:9

God gives us LOYAL LOVE.  He does not get back at us but he loves and forgives us.


17.Gracious
The LORD is compassionate and gracious; slow to anger, abounding in love.
Psalm 103:8

He blesses us daily with His love and we do not even deserve it.  He loves to forgive us for our sin and He love s to bless us. 


18. Love
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
            Romans 5:8

God’s love for us is bigger than anything we will ever be able to understand.  His love fills us and that love that overflows from God we need to share with others.  We need to embrace His love.  God grieves when someone dies that has not accepts His love. 


19.Spirit
God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
John 4:24

He doesn’t have an image.  We cannot see him but creation shows He is alive. 


20.Light
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 
John 1:5

He has no darkness.  He is all light. If we walk with Him in the light His blood will cleanse us.  The light is living…darkness is dead. 


21.Trinity
T
herefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. 
Matthew 29:19


22.All-powerful
For with God nothing shall be impossible.
            Luke 1:37

There is nothing God cannot do.  He can conquer sin and death.  He has power over Satan.  So when we face sin or temptation in the face we need to rely on Gods power.