When life handed me a Canadian Husband, Two Energetic Kids and a Dog with ADHD,
I made myself some Organized Chaos!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Contentment


1 Timothy 6:6: “Godliness with contentment is great gain.”

Dictionary Definition…
The state of being contented or satisfied; content.  The act or process of contenting or satisfying; as, the contentment of avarice is impossible.  Gratification; pleasure; satisfaction

Christian Contentment
Ø  Satisfaction with God in all of His Word, will, promises, and prophecies
Ø  Peace and satisfaction
Ø  Confidence in your faith
Ø  Contentment is to find rest in your soul, in God
Ø  Gracious work in the heart; submitting full self to God
Ø  Contentment gives us eagerness and readiness to serve Him
Ø  Contentment seals are confession

Contentment is not or should be played out as….
Ø  Self-righteous
Ø  Self-satisfying
Ø  Being superior about yourself
Ø  Repressive
Ø  In worldly processions
Ø  Self motive

You do not need to walk over coals to prove you are one with Christ.  The way you react to life will show your true contentment with God and that you leave your life at Gods feet.  Your reaction to life can show that we believe in God’s Grace and His Power. 

Truly being content means that when times get tough you don’t react.  You know and have a peace in your soul that God has given to us as a gift.  God made us with emotions but because God has given us an amazing gift we will have that peace in our hearts. 

Can you be 100% content? 
I don’t believe you can.  Just like it is impossible have perfect love, perfect trust, perfection is just not attainable in this life!

 
So how do we do this…how do we become content? 
I think John MacArthur had it written nicely for me to get it and then I dug deep into the bible to find more information….

1.      Give thanks to all things
Thankfulness is a matter of obedience
Thankfulness is also a characteristic of a Spirit Filled believer
No matter what the circumstance it is
Rejoice for everything you have is an expansion of God’s love for us

Ø  1 Thess 5:18: “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Ø  Eph 5:18-20: “…be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Ø  Hebrews 12:7-11

2.      Rest and know He holds nothing back
He is unfolding His agenda and purpose
His plan is so much bigger than ours
His plan will benefit not only us but it will be to His glory
He knows the end results
If we lack something we desire it is not because God is unable or willing to provide but because there is a better path

Ø  Rom 8:28:  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Ø  1 Peter 4:12-13:  Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Ø  Psalm 34:10:  The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

Ø  Psalms 23:1:  “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.”

3.      Be satisfied with little
Paul showed us that it was important to be fulfilled with little

Ø  1 Timothy 6:6: But godliness with contentment is great gain.

4.      Live above life’s circumstances
Take joy in the power of Christ in times of distress

Ø  2 Cor. 12:9-10:  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
  
5.      Rely on God’s power and provision
He will never leave us or forsake us
We need to rely on Christ’s promise
He is faithful

Ø  Eph 3:16:  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,

Ø  Heb 13:5:  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
  “Never will I leave you; 
   never will I forsake you.”


6.      Become preoccupied with the well-being of others
A self centered person is discontent
Soul of a generous person lives for the interest and benefit of others

Ø  Phil 2:3-4:  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Ø  Prov 11:24:  One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

Ø  Luke 6:38:  Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Ø  2Cor 9:6: Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.


7.      Trust
Nothing is an accident
God is 100% on it and has a plan bigger than anything we can dream of

Ø  Phil. 4:10: I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.
  
8.      Seek
You can’t find it elsewhere.  It is only with God that we will find it

Ø  Phil 4:11-13:  I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Ø  John 15:1-8


9.      We must believe
Remember is unfailing promise

Ø  Phil 4:14-20

Ø  Psalm 73:25-26


Are you Spiritually CONTENT?